Search This Blog

24/07/2009

The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett

If I had to use one word to describe this book, it would be quirky.

The Queen accidentally stumbles on the mobile library that visits the palace ground every week. Initially borrowing a book just to be polite, the Queen is soon develops an insatiable appetite for books. This apparently harmless activity throws her staff into disarray and confusion. She often becomes so lost in books that her maids fear she is becoming senile, and her private secretary worries how she will connect with a population who no longer reads for pleasure.

This is a very funny book, and I found myself sniggering at several parts. One image that had me chuckling is of the royal couple having a row just before setting out in the carriage to open Parliament, and the duke "waving viciously" to the gathered crowds. I have never imagined the Queen and Prince Philip rowing like any other married couple. And Bennett has got the voice of the Queen and the Duke just right, they almost jump off the page. For example, when asked about Cecil Beaton, the Duke says "Never liked the fellow. Green shoes." Spot on!

As much as this is a story starring the Queen, it is also a story of readers everywhere, and those who have to share a life with them. Reading is described as a "selfish activity", and I wondered if that was true. After all, we readers are off in our imagined lands living through fantastic tales, and our family and colleagues have to wait patiently for us to come back to Earth and reconnect with them. My husband often says that he knows when I'm reading a good book, as I stop speaking to him. Oops!

Did anyone else like this book as much as I did?

9 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

I read this book in May and it is one of my favourites of the year so far. It is definitely quirky, funny, charming, witty, enchanting and a book for book lovers.
I thought hard about reading as a "selfish activity" at the time and I do agree but it is one time where being selfish doesn't make me guilty in the slightest!

Green Road said...

That's true, I can never feel guilty about reading, even if that makes me selfish!

verity said...

Ooh yes, I loved that book. It was, as Claire says, a great book for booklovers. I've got some more Alan Bennett novellas at home but haven't got to them yet.

Green Road said...

I didn't know Alan Bennett had novellas too. I thought he only wrote TV scripts before this. I'll have a look on Amazon now.

verity said...

Yes, there is one called The clothes they stood up in; there is also The lady in the van, and Father father burning bright.

Green Road said...

Found the novellas, they're available in my library in a single book so I've put a request on it. I hope they're as good as The Uncommon Reader

Paperback Reader said...

I reviewed one of the stories, "The Clothes They Stood Up In" last month. I didn't think it was as good as The Uncommon Reader but still worth reading; saying that I didn't read the other two stories in the volume before returning the book to the library.

Green Road said...

I just found your review on The Clothes They Stood Up In. It doesn't sound like you enjoyed it as much as The Uncommon Reader. I'll give it a try and let you know how I felt about it - the good thing is that it shouldn't take too long to read!

Paperback Reader said...

That is the advantage: that it can be read it one sitting and it isn't too frustrating spending time of it if you don't enjoy it It's the problem with finding a fabulous book, having never read the author before, as you expect great things. I intend to read Bennett's play The History Boys soon as I think that will be great; I really enjoyed the film version.