Search This Blog

29/07/2009

The little phone

A rather embarrasing incident happened to me last night. I was in two minds whether to write about it as it paints a very silly picture of me, but judging by the hilarity it has brought into my house, I thought I'd share.

I was up last night reading Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. Those who have read it and blogged about it will know that certain parts are quite spooky. Once my husband had gone to bed and the TV was thankfully switched off, I could really immerse myself into the book. At 2am I had just reached the bit where Simon describes his haunting on the night of the party. I don't want to give away plot details, but a very heavy object starts moving on its own. I was engrossed in it when I was disturbed by a low buzzing sound. I looked up and saw my mobile on the table...moving towards me. Now at any other time I would have realised that I had only received a text message and my phone was on vibrate-mode. But I was already made so nervy by the book that logic had gone out of the window. I shrieked, threw the book at my phone (those who've read the book will know that's no easy feat) and dashed out of the room. Of course, the scream and/or my undignified dive into the bed woke my husband up and I had to tell him about the moving phone. Even while telling the "story" I had started to realise how foolish I sounded, and I was mortified when I discovered the real reason behind the "incident". My husband roared with laughter for what felt to me like an hour.

It's 12 hours later, and he has still not let me forget it. He has taken to sending me texts saying just BOO. Ah well, a tale to tell the grandchildren.

2 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

Hee. Highly amusing story Green Road and completely understandable, in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that story, it made me smile and is a very strong recommendation for The Little Stranger!