Search This Blog

30/07/2009

My First Persephone

I still cannot get over my very lucky find. I was browsing through the bookshelves of a charity shop when I saw the spine of a dove-grey book. Noooo, I thought, it couldn't be. But it was; a Persephone book sitting there with a price label of £1.79! And, believe it or not, it even had the bookmark in it. The spine is barely creased, it really looks and feels brand new.

I bought it without even looking at the title. It was only when I got home that I realised that I'd got They Knew Mr. Wright by Dorothy Whipple, one of Persephone's star authors.
.
.
.
I think I will save it for the Persephone Reading Challenge hosted by Paperback Reader and The B Files . At the moment, I am very happily stroking the cover, very much like Gollum with his ring. "It's mine."

7 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

Congratulations, Green Road!
I would be stroking it like Gollum too, muttering "the precious".
How wonderful (and rare) to find a Persephone second-hand and with the bookmark! Such an amazing find and price. I'm in awe of your good fortune and view it as a sign that you were destined to join in during the Persephone Reading Challenge.
I have read other Whipples (great) but not this one yet so I look forward to your thoughts.

verity said...

Brilliant! I loved that book (although I don't think I read it in that rather lovely grey edition). Very envious. Looking forward to you joining in with us!

(PS: how could someone get rid of a Persephone?!)

Unknown said...

I have never found a Persephone in a charity shop in twelve years. I am very jealous.
I have not read that one, but have read others by Whipple, she's good

Green Road said...

Claire, I know I've been very lucky. I've only ever read one Persephone before, and that was from the library with the dustjacket removed. I'm very excited to be able to properly join in with the challenge.

Verity, I too can't understand why anyone would give away a Persephone. And it really does look unread. An unwanted gift maybe?

Lucy, I've never read a Whipple at all, but have heard so much about her on various blogs. I look forward to reading this.

Vintage Reading said...

Green Road, I found two pristine Persephone's in my local Oxfam bookshop. I already had the titles so didn't buy them. I wonder if Persephone themselves donate to charity shops? Enjoy it anyway!

Tracey said...

What an exciting find! I have read this book and really enjoyed it. Hope you do too 0:)

Green Road said...

Tracy, I'm very much looking forward to reading it, I've only read good reviews on the net so I have high hopes for it.

VintageR, that's an interesting comment, it would make sense if Persephone actively donate their books as it's a brilliant way to lure in new readers. Once you've handled one of their books, it's very hard to resist. :)