Search This Blog

18/08/2009

Persephone Reading Challenge


Paperback Reader and The B Files have posted reminders that their Persephone Reading Challenge starts next week. The rules are simple; read as many Persephone books as you like, one or ten, it doesn't matter. The important bit is enjoying the works published by Persephone. It sounds like many readers are participating and I'm excited to join in.

I already have three books ready on my bookshelf. It was very hard to resist the temptation to start early, but I've managed (just).

The picture's not very clear, so the three books are:
1) They Knew Mr. Knight by Dorothy Whipple
2) The Victorian Chaise-Lounge by Marghanita Laski
3) Round About A Pound A Week by Maud Pember Reeves


5 comments:

verity said...

Ooh, I'm so glad you've got Round about...I own it in a Virago edition and read it for college, but it is just fantastic. Thanks for the link :)

Paperback Reader said...

Oooh, interesting choices! The only one I've read is The Victorian Chaise-longue so I'll be interested in reading your thoughts (Verity's comment already has me coveting Round About A Pound A Week).

Green Road said...

Verity, do you recommend I should start with Round About...then? It sounded so interesting, my friend does sociology and she loves this book.
Victorian Chaise Lounge was a present from my husband (after very heavy-handed hinting). Apparently he spoke to Persephone for ages before picking this up for me. He did well :)

Looking forward to next week :D

verity said...

Well done your husband - need to get my boyfriend trained!

I'm going to review Round about..on my VVV blog next week. It is really good, but I'd probably read it alongside one of the novels - it depends how much you like reading non-fiction for pleasure!

Vintage Reading said...

Hi, do let us know how you get on with the Whipple. I love her writing.