Search This Blog

13/08/2009

Library Loot and New Acquisitions

I picked up a huge pile of books from the library today, and I can't resist shawing them off a bit.
.
.
Real World - This is perfect for the Japanese Literature Challenge. I had planned to read Out! by the same author, but it still hasn't been delivered to me yet. So when I spotted this in the display, I could not resist. This will be first on my TBR list.

March - This has been on my wishlist for a long long time. Little Women is one of my most favourite books of all time, and I go back to it periodically. This is the story of what happens to Mr. March during the time that Little Women covers. It should be interesting.

Trainspotting - Again, this has been on my wishlist for ages. I have been wary of reading it before because of its supposed graphic content, but I think after reading Real World nothing will be too grotesque.

The library was also getting rid of some of its stock due to lack of space, and I picked up the following for 10p each.
.
.
Quartet in Autumn - One of Barbara Pym's later novels, it was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1977. It tells the story of four friends in retirement.

People in Glass Houses - This is a collection of short stories by Shirley Hazzard, satirising the workings of large organisations. I'm not usually into short stories, but this one sounds interesting. For 10p, I think I can give it a go.

The Handmaid's Tale - Everyone knows about this book! I have not read any Atwood before and I'm looking forward to this book very much.

And finally,

Olivia - I didn't get this from the library, it was passed on to me by Verity at the B Files. She read this as part of her Virago Challenge and her review (here) intrigued me. She had an extra copy and I grabbed at the chance. It is a very slim book, so I'm planning to read it over a weekend when I have more free time than during the week.

Not a bad haul, even though I say so mmyself. Now I just have to find the time to fit them all in.

8 comments:

verity said...

Thanks for mentioning me :)

I have Quartet in Autumn, and very much enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Pym.

Paperback Reader said...

Great haul!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Real World as I may read that or Grotesque after Out.

I am also wanting to read March; I love Little Women.

Trainspotting is a great book although the graphic content is probably in a different vein to Kirino; it's "gritty".

The Handmaid's Tale is an amazing book and, in my opinion, the best Atwood novel to start with.

I read and reviewed Olivia a couple of months ago and enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

Great haul! I'm really interested in Real World - I look forward to hearing what you think!

Green Road said...

Verity, I'm the one who should say thanks! Your Virago Venture blog has me coveting so many books, it's nice to get my hands on one at least!

I've never read Pym before, but I've heard lots of good things about her. I look forward to reading Quartet in Autumn.

Green Road said...

Claire, thanks for that summary. All the books are must-reads, don't you think? I'm very pleased with the whole lot.

I've read Little Women so many times since I first read it at 12, and I like the concept of listening to Mr. March's story.

Jackie, I've been wanting to read Out since I read your review, but it's been "in the post" for ages now (I got the "dispatched" e-mail about a week ago). Real World will be a good substitute till I get the real thing.

Paperback Reader said...

I think must-reads, yes!

Lisa Hill said...

I hope that the Shirley Hazzard short stories give you a taste of this great writer. If you get the chance to read The Great Fire, don't miss it - it's excellent. See also
http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/the-evening-of-the-holiday-by-shirley-hazzard/
Lisa Hill, ANZ LitLovers, Australia (with niece and great nieces living in Cardiff)

Green Road said...

Lisa, thanks for leaving a comment. Your review on Evening of the Holiday is very interesting, I'm already tempted to search out more Haazzard books, and I haven't even strated the one I have yet!
By the way, I live in Cardiff too. Have you been here to visit your family? There are a few very quaint bookshops that I love browsing in.