Search This Blog

07/09/2009

R.I.P. IV Challenge

I'm coming slightly late to this challenge due to real-life taking over my reading time, but I have been mulling over my choices for the challenge for well over a week now. That was fun enough, I imagine actually reading the books will be even more fun.

During my teen years, I went through a very intense period when I read only horror/supernatural/dark thriller genres. But my over-active imagination resulted in this phase ending badly. I often dream about the books I read, which is bad enough when you're reading The Time Traveller's Wife, but how much worse when you're reading The Stand. When I moved to my own place, I stopped reading scary stories to spare myself the usual nightmares. Carl's R.I.P. Challenge (now in its fourth year) is the perfect excuse to return to the genre.

I'm going to indulge in Peril The First which is to read FOUR books from the "scary" genrre. My choices are:

Out by Natsuo Kirino - This is an overlap with the Japanese Literature Challenge. I read Real World by the same author last month and I'm eager to get started on this book. This should give me the added impetus.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe - No, I've never read this short story/novella and yes, I've always regretted it. Poe is considered the father of the suspense/thriller genre, and this book will fill in a huge gap in my reading list.

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter - I've never read Carter and I think it would be best to ease myself in gently into her world and what better way to do it than with her subversive version of Grimm's fairy tales.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - An odd choice perhaps. But I have my reasons. Fact 1 - this is an acknowledged classic. Fact 2 - it is known for its graphic description of violence aand is actually banned in some countries. Fact 3 - I would never pick up this book voluntarily unless I had an ulterior motive (book group, challenge etc etc). I'm still not sure if I'll get through this book, but I'll give it my best shot. Then at the very least I can say I tried and it wasn't for me.

As the nights draw in and Halloween approaches, this challenge is pitch-perfect. I'm off to light the fire and heat up some mulled wine

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am honored that you are returning to this genre with the R.I.P. IV Challenge. It is so great to have you.

I did the same thing with Angela Carter last year, I choose to find out about her via short stories. The Bloody Chamber was a great collection, I hope you enjoy it.

Out was very interesting.

Fall of the House of Usher is one of my favorite Poe stories, I look forward to your thoughts on it.

Paperback Reader said...

You are in for such a treat with The Bloody Chamber, Swati! I adore Angela Carter and think you have made a wonderful choice.

I also love Poe, who is a fabulous storyteller.

Green Road said...

Carl, thank you for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to this challenge and hope I'll get the time to do full justice to it.

Claire, I'm a good way into Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and am impressed so far. It's unlike anything Ive read before...including the Grimm Brothers stories!